Friday, November 25, 2016

Just Call Me Debbie

I had a mental health counselor in Coeur d'Alene that really helped me through a lot of things.  One thing she said I will never forget: "What you resist will persist."  In other words, if you run or hide or avoid or distract yourself from your negative thoughts, they eventually catch up to you.  But if you turn and face them, name them, there is usually a way to move beyond.

I have been seeing a pattern in my depression this year.  It usually occurs at the end of the day on special holidays.  Particularly Thanksgiving, Christmas, and my birthday.  As I have faced it, I discovered a name for it.  Loneliness.

My counselor suggested that you are at higher risk for depression when you are H.A.L.T.  Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired.  I find that I am very susceptible to Tired, but I've also found that Loneliness is the worst for me.  My train of thought goes something like this:

I feel lonely=Nobody wants me=I should disappear.

While I'm not suicidal, I do feel a strong urge to withdraw from everyone.

What's hard about these holidays is that I know they're coming, and I dread them.  I can't seem to face the oncoming train.  It's also hard to be separated from all family and close friends.

I didn't want to get out of bed this morning.  But when I did, I felt surprisingly better.  I had a good cry last night, wore myself out, slept until 8:30, and I felt like I could manage the day.  The kids were really helpful in picking up the house with pretty good attitudes.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, I just have to get through Christmas.

4 comments:

S Lindsay said...

How I wish we could have joined with you for Thanksgiving! Our society is so fractured, I think, when it comes to joining together as family and as community. Our jobs separate us, our homes separate us, our technology separates us...I just want heaven to come! We should Skype today, with kids (and then talk as adults separately!) Love you!

S Lindsay said...

I keep thinking about this. What does it mean: "just call me Debbie" ?

Unknown said...

Debbie Downer

The Gaunts said...

ugh I hate that you feel lonely. I'm counting down the days until we come visit you or you come visit us! Seriously!