Ever since I stopped growing taller (age 13-ish), I've struggled to find pants that fit properly. If I get pants that are long enough, they are usually too big in the waist and hips. If I get pants that fit my waist and hips, the pants are usually too short. Just ever so slightly--too short. When I was in high school, and the style was to "sag" your pants, there was no problem.
But as I've gotten older, and my body has been through numerous changes, I find that comfort is a much more important factor than it was when I was young and hot (okay, so I was never actually hot). And my tastes have changed. (The other day I was in the store looking at clothes. Some young girls picked up this hideous jacket and confirmed to each other that it was super cute. I realized that I cannot and will not keep up with the trends anymore.)
So I got a recommendation to try Old Navy jeans because you can get them in "Tall" sizes. I have never considered myself "tall," so I had never considered trying the tall sizes. When I got to the store, they did not carry the tall sizes. So I tried on the regular size just to match the fit in the waist and hips. Armed with this knowledge, and a really cute clearance dress, I decided to shop online.
When I got to the website, I checked out the sizing charts, just to be sure. This is where I ran into trouble.
Petite sizes are for women 5'4" and under. Tall sizes are for women 5'10" and up. The assumption is that regular sizes are for women who fall between these heights, right? I am 5'6.25".
The inseam for regular sizes is 32". The tall sizes have an inseam of 36" inches. My inseam is 33". In other words, the regular pants are one inch too short, and the tall pants are 3 inches too long. Okay, so you would probably recommend I buy tall pants and hem them to fit. Which might work, if they didn't sew the knee at a different length in the tall pants. I fear that I would buy the tall pants and the knee wouldn't sit right.
In my limited research, I have found the same sizings at other stores. So the mystery is solved as to why I have difficulty finding pants that fit. Not all stores even sell tall sizes. If you are one of my tall friends, please advise.
Until then, I guess I could order a pair and return it if it doesn't fit. Life couldn't be easy, could it?
3 comments:
I buy Old Navy pants also and love them. I'm sorry for your dilemma, I don't have any advice. Pants are very hard to find. Once I found that Old Navy works for me, I don't buy any other. Good luck with this project.
I wish I could give you advice, but I don't really like the way any of my pants fit right now. The only pair that are a good length and fit my hips are from Target, but they have a pretty high waist. Scott and I call them my "mom jeans" if you know what I mean.
I agree with Patty's philosophy, when you find a brand that fits, stick with it. About ten years ago my go-to jeans were Express. They always fit perfectly. About five years ago they changed their standard jean line to be more trendy and I've never liked them since :(
Good Luck in your search!
I always have really good luck at the Buckle. They're jeans are pricey, but they are so comfortable that I usually choose to wear them over sweats (which says a lot because I own about 7 pair of sweats). And if they're too long, they hem them for free and there are absolutely no knee issues after hemming. Both of my jeans fit perfectly.
Post a Comment