I have debated back and forth about whether or not I should keep my blog private.
Since I haven't checked my Google Analytics in forever, I was curious to see who and where my readers are.
I was surprised, and somewhat incredulous, to find that I had only 9 visits in the last month, on the same day, with an average of 1 second viewing, all from Brazil. I don't even know anyone in Brazil, and my blog is private. Hmmm.
So it got me curious, is Analytics wrong?
Should I unprivatize? Or should I just quit writing, since only some obscure person is blog-hopping in and out of my site in quick succession in Brazil?
Or, if Analytics is wrong, who are you, my dear readers?
Please take the poll to the left.
And since the poll doesn't allow for essay questions, I am also curious to know your thoughts on having a private blog. Why is this a good idea, or why not?
17 comments:
I'm not quite sure your polls are working. Even after I voted, it said 0 people had voted. My very important opinion :) is KEEP WRITING! It's so nice to stay in touch. I would read it more if it was public, because it's so easy to just check my google reader feed, but I know there are many good reasons to keep a blog private i.e. security! My blog is public, but I don't use the kids' real names and never mention our state's name.
I too say keep writing, I love what you have to say!
I would probably check more often if it wasn't private, but I do think it is the safest thing as far as blogs go to keep it privat. I am not sure why I keep mine public, probably I am just to lazy to send emails to everyone. And I have never even looked at analytics maybe if I did I would be more inclined to make my blog private. Sorry probably not much help....
I really do check your blog almost every day, so perhaps analytics are wrong. I think private is better safe than sorry. I know my mother in law said she finds random blogs through others' blogs and will read them because she finds the writer very interesting. I think your interesting! So keep it up. I think its a great way to watch your family from afar!
I actually check everyday to see what new things you might have written. I love staying in touch by reading what's going on in your life :) So please keep writing! You are a good writer and I really enjoy how you say things! Not to mention the fun videos and pictures you post!
I check your blog probably three times a week, but that wasn't a poll option so I put weekly. I put my blog address on my facebook page and I learned at my 10 year reunion that a lot of high school friends view my blog but never would comment. I like to keep in touch with random people this way, so I keep my blog public. That being said, I will never post bathtub photos or naked baby photos, even if I have really cute ones. I will never post my contact info or exact address. Ocassionally we mention the city we live in, but I try to avoid that, too. For comments I have the word verification option active so I don't get spam comments.
I follow your blog so don't stop writing! I wish I was better at other forms of communication, but this is really the easiest thing for me! I really related to your post about being lonely. I don't think I commented on it though, but it made me want to post something similar on my blog. I miss you, Bri, and I hope you stay happy!
I still check... I'd check it the same if it were private or public. You always have funny things to say, whether I comment on them or not. 3 cheers for your blog!
I check your blog about 3-4 times a week so analytics must not be right.
I can see why some wouldn't want a public blog. I keep mine public because it's frustrating for me when I see a link to someone's blog that I know and haven't seen in awhile, but I can't get to it because it's private and there's no way for me to contact them. But that's just me. There are definitely great reasons to keep it private.
I have thought the same things lately because it seems like the only ones who check my blog are you and your sisters. I have considered just closing my blog but I haven't quite decided. I check your blog about once a week and it has been enjoyable. You do what you think is best. I don't understand how a person from Brazil is checking your private blog.
I read your blog, but not as much as I used to, and not as much as I would if it were public and just magically showed up on my Reader when it was updated. That being said, when I do check your blog I read everything that you've posted since I last checked it.
And ultimately, it's up to you if you are public or private. If you don't feel comfortable with it being public, don't let peer pressure (even from me) push you into it. :)
I echo what Sherry said generally. I enjoy it, but don't check more often than once every 5-6 days, primarily because it's not in Reader and when I've checked in the past, I noticed that you didn't post daily. (Let's see--does moving multiple times and having 3 kids perfectly explain that, or what?!) Don't stop blogging though. There are some things you've shared here that just don't work by telephone, with either the efficiency or the wit. :-) (Or cuteness...)
I totally check your blog once a week. I wish I could keep in touch better with you but it is great to check up on what you are thinking or how your family is doing. I haven't had any problems that I know of from a public blog, but at the first sign of one I would go private. I just don't have the impetus to figure it out yet. I don't have a reader set up so yours being private doesn't matter much to me. I just know you post regularly so I check regularly. I love having such a kindred spirit for a friend.
To be honest, I forget to check. I go off of my blog roll for updates and private blogs don't update on the list. I LOVE what you write though, I think I just forget.
I totally read and love your blog!
I do better when blogs are open and show up on reader, but I still check yours very often. I am not good at commenting, but I read. I like the idea of being open, but have too much fear so I'm still private.
I'm here! I'm reading! It just may be few and far between!! :) How does the analytics work? I need to check it out. I too have debated on having a private blog or not...
I think it's good that you have it private...especially since you've shared your inner most thoughts about how you feel about people in Pullman...you may not want everybody to read that. Also, I'm sure that Analytics thing is wrong, because I've checked out your blog a few times this month. I've noticed that people look at blogs a lot without leaving comments, so you might feel like nobody cares or reads it, but they just didn't have time or know what to say as a comment. I usually blog serf as a treat for myself when I've finished a certain amount of homework or chores, so sometimes I don't get to for a week or more because I'm trying to be good and do my homework.
Even though we don't know each other too well, its still fun to see how your family is doing. And its a journal for you and your family. Thats my main reason for blogging.
Post a Comment